Saturday, January 25, 2014

DIY Coffee Table

So I know some of you are wondering where I have been all week.  And then there are some of you that probably didn't even realize I have been MIA.  :)


Well, I have been tired. And when I say tired I mean exhausted.  So exhausted I started to go to that crazy place in my mind.  Things started to shut down and quit and I felt like I was on drugs of some sort.  So exhausted I stopped doing push ups at bootcamp to lay in a dirty parking spot of the San Luis Resort because I could not lift myself again.  So exhausted that when I woke up to BLittle sending a work email on his phone from bed at 4am I had thoughts of smothering him with his pillow.



For the last 3 weeks, I have been struggling with sleep.  This is something I don't usually have a problem with.  I love sleep and I have to have 7-9 hours of good sleep to function.  After several weeks of bad sleep and going to the ranch this weekend and waking up 5 to 6 times a night, my body started to shut down.  I have been in a bit of a daze the past week.


I am finally starting to get better sleep and I have more energy to be productive.  This project took a little longer than I wanted but it is done and I love it.


Here is our coffee table before.





At first I thought I would just refinish this one but there were too many things I didn't like.  It was super heavy, I hate the bottom shelf (it tends to be a junk collector), and I wanted a stained not painted coffee table.  This one had a few too many veneer issues to re stain.


So, I decided to build one.  True story.  Again.


Yes, last week I built a dining room table (read about it here and here) and this week a coffee table.  Apparently, I am on a roll, in a groove, whatever.


I wanted to make a coffee table that was a little longer than the one we had and didn't have the bottom shelf.  Also I wanted clean, simple lines.  Our previous coffee table was one of the only new pieces we bought for our NOLA home.  Blittle was insistent that we have a coffee table that lifts so I bought one.  I wanted this new table to have this feature too.


I took the lift mechanism out of the old table and used it for the new one.






This is what the finished product looks like.  I think I am going to put another coat of stain on it to darken it up a bit and cover up the yellow still showing through.  I haven't decided yet.  I'll keep y'all posted on that.







The old coffee table will be refinished and available for purchase.  It is a great table, it just wasn't working for us.

Have a great Saturday!  I am working today since I decided to take a snow day without snow yesterday.  :)  There is a great project being delivered today and I can't wait to show y'all!  It's going to be a great makeover.

 photo Signature_zps5473e161.png
 photo googleplustitanium_zps7c045137.png  photo rsstitanium_zps86d5562c.png  photo emailtitanium_zpsf8419ff0.png

Sharing at:



52 Mantels, Thursday S.T.Y.L.E, Catch as Catch Can, Redoux Link Party

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kaylor!!!

    Love the new table!!! I agree with you on re-staining it. The yellow really shows through. Great job!!!

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! As for your yellow - I would leave it as-is for a bit. Yellowing in wood usually fades out over time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. rosewood and even natural maple. The shapes are sometimes geometrical and the perimeters strong whereas the veneers on the wooden used match.
    Sydney Commercial Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  4. more helpful hints Ysl replica handbags you could check here replica gucci continue reading this high end replica bags

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really Great Post. Thanks For Sharing. If You’re Looking for Home Lifts for Malaysia just visit our blogs:
    elevators company in Malaysia
    Vacuum Home Lifts

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete