Friday, August 16, 2013

Remodeler's Fatigue

Anybody else suffer from this?  This week I self diagnosed.  I definitely have "Remodeler's Fatigue".  Its a real thing people!  I did not make this stuff up!

We all know I don't mind hard work, or being dusty from sanding, or being covered in paint but I am one of those people that HAVE to have rest and good sleep.  I do not function without it.  It has been that way for as long as I can remember.  I could have homework, a test to study for, a deadline, whatever...doesn't matter.  If I am sleepy,  I am going to bed.  My brain stops working correctly if I don't.  Now that we are 7 weeks into the remodel, fatigue is setting in.  It doesn't matter how much sleep I get, I am still tired.  I feel overwhelmed all the time because I never get away from the house and I am constantly reminded of how much I have to do.  I never really get to relax.  Right now, the detailed work left in the kitchen is equivalent to running a marathon in August.  Knowing that we are close to finishing the kitchen is keeping me going but progress has definitely slowed down.

I took a day off yesterday to spend time with my best friend/sister.  I call her my sister because we have been friends since 1st grade.  Now we are in our 30's and I can't imagine my life without her and her family.  She lives north of Houston and it takes about an hour to get to my house (no more plane rides to visit each other!!!!!!)  We spent the day in Galveston with the kids.  It was so nice to not be in the house and constantly be reminded how much work I have to do.  Here are a few pictures from the day.


First we visited Seawolf Park.  There is a battleship and submarine that you get to go in!  It really is cool...and scary.  I went there when I was a child but things feel a lot smaller now that I am an adult.  Very tight squeeze in some areas.  My friend is 32 weeks pregnant and at one point there were only a few inches between her belly and the wall.







Then we went to lunch on the seawall and spent a few hours at the beach.




We went back to the house to relax and get ready for dinner.  Sweet Bretton fell asleep on the deck while the girls played with the ducks and dogs. 




We had so much fun!

Now its time to get back to work on that kitchen.  It is primed and ready for paint!!!!  First coat is going on today.  Just the primer has made the space feel bigger and more opened.  I can't wait to see how its going to feel when its finished!

I hope everyone has a great weekend.  Brian and I are going to work on the kitchen and getting our garage organization/work benches set up.  Busy, busy, busy.  I am fighting my fatigue with vitamin B, trying to sleep a little more, and not working myself to death everyday. Hopefully it will get me through and get this kitchen done sooner than later.




3 comments:

  1. First of all, who posts stuff at 6:15 in the morning!!? Oh yeah, you! Second, I'm just now eating my cereal at 11:45 and, thanks to you, crying in my milk! We had so much fun too!! The kids are now trying to get rid of their dad now (who is allergic to dogs) so they can get a dog. No lie! Brettton just said, "Momma, why do we have to have a daddy?" I said, "why do you say that Bretton?" Bretton said, "becasue I want a puppy." Thanks Aunt Kaylor, Sabine, and Jaxson! LOL!! Anyway, you do need to take time off or you will get burnt out as with anything in life. Slow and steady wins the race! I love you and can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! As soon as the kitchen is done, they can stay the weekend and they'll get tired of me and the dogs and will be ready to go home to their daddy.

    ReplyDelete