Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Vanity and Lady in Red

Here is a little info and some pictures of my latest project.  The vanity was purchased in a bundle deal that included the Lady in Red dresser, the Antique Carved bed and a few other pieces.  The client was looking for a tall dresser and a vanity.  After searching a few days I found these pieces and went to check them out.  Once I saw them in person, I realized that the Lady in Red dresser was in worse shape than I thought.  The seller refused to separate the bundle so I brought them all home knowing it was going to be a lot of work.  The client loved the vanity and the dresser so I got started ASAP.

I started with the dresser which I initially thought was going to take forever and ended up not taking as long as I thought due to days off of teaching.  (Thank you Hurricane Isaac for the days off school work). 
Lady in Red before
Lady in Red before
Lady in Red after
Then the vanity, which I thought was going to be a fairly simple project took forever.  The vanity did have a few visible veneer problems but nothing significant...until I started working on it.  The veneer problems were worse than expected and this piece was resistant to anything I did to it.  Behind the mirror there is a stamp that read January 1939 and the casters were made of wood so I knew the piece was older and could have some hidden issues.  Between the vanity not wanting me to fix it and my regular job taking over my life, this project took way too long to finish.  She is finished now and will be delivered this week and I am on to the next project.  Its a beautiful vanity and I am so happy with the results. 
Vanity Chair before

Vanity before
Vanity after (client is still looking for handles)


Vanity after
I love the pop of red.  Its going to look great with the Lady in Red Dresser

Now I am ready for the next one.  I bought an AMAZING dresser last night.  I am in love.  I can't decide if I want to refinish it with my vision or post it as a "pick your color piece" and let a client choose.  It has a lot of potential and I can't wait to get started on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment