I have to say, this was a scary DIY. All DIY's can be intimidating and the unknown is scary but this was life threatening scary. The bottom of our posts were rotted and the large support beam in the corner of the house wasn't even touching the ground. We made temporary supports and cut all the posts to a length that would put them right at the new concrete level. Cutting off the supports was scary! But everything is still standing and looking good.
Side note: I did work this weekend. A lot. I was also the photographer so I am not in any of the pictures. BLittle did not have to do this alone. :)
A reminder of what we started with.
This week, we rented a jack hammer and broke up the 3 x 3 concrete pad Jaxson is sitting on. I rented a rotary hammer and drilled 18 holes into the existing concrete. Then, I glued rebar into those holes to connect the current concrete to the new. Finally, we finished the frame, put in our temporary supports, cut the posts and laid down the plastic and mesh.
A local concrete place lets you rent trailers to carry premixed concrete. It took 1.5 loads to fill our area.
And this was Sunday morning. Dry enough to walk on but we will not be taking the temporary supports and framing off for a few days.
Now we wait a few days to clean everything up and do a few touch ups. We will close in under the stairs to create an outdoor storage area next. I can't wait!
Tomorrow see the 1920s cabinet's transformation!
Happy Monday! Check back tomorrow!
Sharing at: S.T.Y.L.E. Link Party, That DIY Party, Sunday Soiree Link Party, The Makers